Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
PBIS is a framework for creating and sustaining effective school-wide behavior system. Shifting the focus to prevention minimizes behavioral problems and increases academic time for students. When this type of system is fully in place:
- Staff are more consistent in their expectations and actions.
- Students and staff are positively recognized for demonstrating expectations.
- Families and the community know these expectations.
- A more positive relationship exists between and among staff and students.
- Focus is on an educational approach to teaching, modeling and acknowledging expectations.
Providing predictability, stability, clear limits, consistency, and routine helps create safe learning environments. Structure helps children develop internal control and self-discipline by organizing their world and providing age-appropriate opportunities for them to make their own positive decisions.